Is violence ever justified?

A forum housing typical questions about the Padgett Messages
dmreed2
New Friend

Is violence ever justified?

Postby dmreed2 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:30 pm

I would like to relate an experience that happened to me a couple of days ago and see what other people might feel about it. I have become a firm believer that violence is not justified; that wars and violence are wrong, and always have been. I didn't always believe this but after finding the messages on this website a few years ago I have as you might say, seen the light on this subject. Well, a few days ago I was in my apartment and and heard a loud commotion in the hallway, I opened my front door and there was a woman who was crying and frantic, she said she needed help that her boyfriend was beating her up and had taken her child. Her face was bloody and bruised so I quickly let her in my apartment and grabbed my phone to call the police. I stepped back into the hallway and her boyfriend was there, he saw that I was calling the police so he turned around went back into her apartment but took her toddler with him. I remained in the hallway to make sure he didn't try to come back into my apartment to attack her and to also wait for the police. About 5 minutes later the police arrived, went into her apartment, arrested the man and reunited the lady with her child. An ambulance than came and took her to the hospital. After the incident I began to think about what had happened and my reactions to the situation. I also thought about the spiritual messages posted on this site that talk about not using violence to try and solve our problems, even if defending someone else. Before this incident I had told myself that If I were ever in a situation where I might have to defend someone, rather than trying to hurt the perpetrator I would step in between to deflect the violence away from the intended victim. I think that was how I reacted to this event, but than again things happened so quickly that I can't say for sure that I would not have done more to protect her and her child if things had gotten worse. I had found out later that he had chocked her to unconsciousness not long before she was able to escape and come to my door. I'm glad the situation was handled by the police so that it did not escalate, but here is my question. I was unwilling to use violence against him, but I did call on other people who were, namely the police. I'm sure if he would have resisted they would have responded with escalating force and violence to subdue him. So, is it ethical to ask someone else to use violence to handle a dangerous situation when I myself am unwilling to do so because it is unethical, and doesn't that make me a hypocrite? Even though I did not raise a fist to hurt him, am I not guilty because I asked someone else to do so if necessary, in this case it was the police. I will say that the police handled the situation very well, they talked calmly and patiently with him so that he wouldn't become enraged and were able to easily separate him from the toddler and to handcuff him and finally remove him from the building. Thanks for reading my post.
God Bless,
David

Geoff
Site Admin

Re: Is violence ever justified?

Postby Geoff » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:18 pm

Dear David,

The advice that Jesus gives regarding non-violence, is that advice which is of the highest kind. If our world was highly advanced, we would be able to live probably without any violence. However our world is not that advanced, heck its rather backward. So we have police and armies, and you could say that we "sub-contract" out the need for violence. Not much else you can do, because we have a lot of people to whom violence is a way of life.

In other circumstances we are told that we wont get into a violent situation, because the angels will make sure of that. But here you found someone who needed help, and she could have brought the violence with her. I think that you did the right thing, and who knows if the angels made sure he did not turn on you.

love,
Geoff
Love commands the universe. Man only resorts to control when love is missing.

Zara Borthwick
Family

Postby Zara Borthwick » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:56 pm

Hi David.

Thank you for posting your concern about violence. The account of your experience places the action of violence into the context of domestic violence. Domestic relationships differ from International conflicts therefore violence or 'to violate laws' are directly related with the kind of violence and the place it happens.

The police and their uniform represent individuals trained to protect and thereby deflect situations where others, namely the man who was the cause of the violence. To employ professionals to do what they are trained for is not the act of a hypocrite. To close the door to the woman in need after learning what was going on would be more in line with acting in support of her abuser by not stepping in to deflect or protect her and her child. In other words, to do nothing when aware of the problems is to support by action or lack there of - than to act with the resources at hand. If you had turned away from the woman and told us of your story the act of omission is an act of support for the bully and violence of the man.

Regards,
Zara

dmreed2
New Friend

Postby dmreed2 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:30 am

Thank you Geoff and Zara. It's a difficult situation to be sure, I feel that possibly angels may have helped so that the violence did not escalate and may have even timed this situation so that certain people were around that needed to be. Usually that time of day I would have still been asleep since I work nights but that day I woke up early and could not fall back asleep. Additionally, the ladies twenty something daughter happened to be visiting her and witness everything and was able to give the police a complete description of his abuse. I know that I would not have turned down her plea for help and maybe the angels helped to subdue his rage so that I would not have needed to react violently towards him. The police were trained well and because, unfortunately, domestic abuse is common, they had the expertise to handle it appropriately. I understand and appreciate your opinions Zara and Geoff and thank you for sharing them.

God Bless,
David

dmreed2
New Friend

Postby dmreed2 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:39 am

I just found this message that I had read some time ago, I thought it applies very well to this situation.

Justified Violence and Soulmates.
October 6th, 2001
Received by H.R.

Simmilarly to the message suggestion from Judas, I see now that I was not actualy present during the violent abuse but was there immediately after. In this way I was not placed in a situation where I would have had to acted violently but yet I could still lend assistance.

Here is the link http://new-birth.net/contemporary/hr43.htm

God Bless,
David

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:42 am

Dear David,

And fortunately it did not flare up again. So you were able to render assistance without having to get into a nasty situation.

love,
Geoff
Love commands the universe. Man only resorts to control when love is missing.

Return to “Questions and Answers”