Vegetarianism and care for animals

A forum housing typical questions about the Padgett Messages
cheezymchowd
New Friend

Vegetarianism and care for animals

Postby cheezymchowd » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:27 am

Hi, this is actually my first post, so here goes nothing! I read in one of the messages that consumption of animal meat was acceptable because of our necessity for nutrients. That being said, does the actual act of ending the life of the animal violate any spiritual law? I feel as if my question may appear silly next to the other asked, but I really am curious to know. If the act is indeed sinful to some degree, would this also apply to lower forms of animal life such as insects? Again, I know this question seems a bit unusual, but I still look forward to your response. Thanks!

Geoff
Site Admin

Re: Vegetarianism and care for animals

Postby Geoff » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:08 am

Dear cheesy,

Welcome. The answer is in the the motive. Acts are not what get you into trouble, funny enough, but motive.

So, if you eat because you are hungry, there cannot be any issue. So a predator that kills another animal is doing what it must. Now to the extent that we condone or support unethical practises in providing our food, we would carry some compensation. But bear in mind there is personal, group, and even national levels of responsibility, and hence you can be swept up in things that can be hard to avoid. I for instance change my vote according to the highest probability of avoiding war. But sometimes both major parties have similar stances, and frankly I am too old to start protesting against all the things that are wrong in society.

But as I saw recently a smug woman with her rifle and behind her a beautiful dead giraffe, doubtless shot while it looked innocently at her, I would expect serious compensation , unless the giraffe was in some way a greater problem. But folks who cull in my experience don't gloat over the trophy.

Hugs
Geoff
Love commands the universe. Man only resorts to control when love is missing.

cheezymchowd
New Friend

Postby cheezymchowd » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:49 pm

OK, I see what you are saying. Thanks for such a speedy response! :) I do have another question though. Would killing something out of fear, like a pest for example, be considered an improper motive?

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:50 pm

Dear Cheezy,

Well killing a human because you feared for your life would be wrong, but probably cause less compensation than murder. But it would still be wrong. Killing an animal that was going to kill you would I believe be ok, but I don't know for sure. But it seems to me that the issue with humans is that they are here on earth having a material experience which is a very important phase in their potentially eternal journey. The same cannot be said for the animal. So my only concern regarding animals is that you are not deliberately cruel.

If you are talking about insects, I now do try hard to be kind to them. This has been a change in my attitude. If I find a LARGE spider as an example in my home, that I can't catch, I tell it it has a day to go live somewhere else. And if I have to then kill it I will, but I must admit I don't like it, and maybe in a few years I will change on that. But I have had poisonous snakes brought into my home by my cat, and I go to a lot of effort to catch them and relocate them. But I don't lose any sleep over Mosquitos or roaches.

Hugs
Geoff
Love commands the universe. Man only resorts to control when love is missing.

cheezymchowd
New Friend

Postby cheezymchowd » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:20 am

Yeah, I share the same sentiments regarding animals. I suppose I just needed some reassurance that I wasn't ignorantly committing a wrong. Again, thank you for easing my mind!

Return to “Questions and Answers”