Defending the Afterlife

A forum housing typical questions about the Padgett Messages
Doles
Old Friend

Defending the Afterlife

Postby Doles » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:56 pm

To all,
I was going to post this on the Divine Sanctuary board...I still might do...but since I still wish to see active conversations taken place here in addition to reading traffic...so I'm asking this here. Why I do have a feeling that for many attempting to defend the afterlife or religion is mostly about our own ego? I mean, I always get a chuckle when people's feathers are so ruffled every time someone is quote attacking the afterlife. For instance, I read something this morning where a person started a conversation on how some scientists have come up with a discovered proof that God doesn't exist and that it's only in our brain. I actually think they make some sense albeit maybe misguidedly. However, it appears the very first reply showed a little frustration. I hadn't heard of too many millionaires being frustrated with me because I don't show enough ability to make as much money as fast as possible to join their club. If indeed all paths eventually lead to the Source...perhaps with a caveat...why show frustration with one that doesn't see things as we do for the moment? I know I used to show frustration back when I was quite consumed in religion. But was that really about defending God or my own ego? Again, I'm just making an attempt at starting a conversation. I say ego because sometimes it sounds more like some of us more or less want to be proven right. Perhaps we are! But boy do I have a feeling we'll have much to learn about patience and tolerance! I started it...so don't be afraid to straighten me out :) .
Doles
Blessings To All!

Geoff
Site Admin

Re: Defending the Afterlife

Postby Geoff » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:53 pm

Dear Doles,

Actually if you are answering the very same question time and again, frustration is not surprising. But I think I know about that "research". Its something to do with if they stimulate a part of the brain they get a result similar to those experienced as a mystical state? Something like that. I have found that there are certainly conversations that are not worth pursuing, and when folks are adamant that there is nothing after death, its often really not worth the effort. Its all about closed vs open minds, and those claiming the notional high ground of scientific objectivity do often have closed minds, although they would claim otherwise. Good scientists are open minded, its those that think they are "scientifically minded" who aren't always open.

But a funny thing happened here a week or so back. I was having a drink with neighbours I know well, and we were talking about this subject. The husband Tony is adamant that there is nothing after death, his wife is far more spiritual. So I said to Tony, well I will be talking to you after you are gone. He was so upset he carried on for a few days. Somehow I really pricked his bubble, not that I meant to upset him. But I did.

hugs
Geoff
Love commands the universe. Man only resorts to control when love is missing.

Doles
Old Friend

Postby Doles » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:11 am

Actually if you are answering the very same question time and again, frustration is not surprising
:)

Oh, I know a thing or two about that! Lol.

...and when folks are adamant that there is nothing after death, its often really not worth the effort.

Yes, I long noticed it kind of becomes an involuntary form of religion to some.

But a funny thing happened here a week or so back. I was having a drink with neighbours I know well, and we were talking about this subject. The husband Tony is adamant that there is nothing after death, his wife is far more spiritual. So I said to Tony, well I will be talking to you after you are gone. He was so upset he carried on for a few days. Somehow I really pricked his bubble, not that I meant to upset him. But I did.
:lol:

We should be having more of these conversations here. I'm more comfortable staying aside and silently applauding folks while enjoying the exchanges...too bad I have to initiate since I'm not too good at formulating my thoughts explicitly.

P.S. I actually came close to a similar incident. Well, I actually had a conversation of that sort. Obviously because my friend knew me from our radical days, he probably thought I'd gone over the deep end, but I did tell him, "just in case...should you find yourself quite awake...don't go the 'too full of pride' way of not asking for spiritual guidance to grow and advance should you not understand and/or require it".
But on a more serious note, I think some folks may have gone over and beyond in attempts to defend the afterlife or religion. I could understand not willing to have conversations when it's clear the other party will not budge, but we all understand that regardless of what they believe we'll all get there one way or another.
Doles
Blessings To All!

Tim
Old Friend

Postby Tim » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:10 pm

Hi All,

I think there are many reasons why someone would jump in quickly to defend their world-view (in this case, one that includes belief in an afterlife), but I think you’re on the right track Doles, in that, most reasons are ego-centric. I also think that some of us simply enjoy argument and the tension it creates. Some are just trying to help.

Of course, some “attacks” are offensive and full of negativity (trolling) and the degree of offense, being relative, is bound to draw the same negativity; however, honest questions met with a helpful attitude seem to bring new ideas to the table.

Personally, I think it’s a waste of time to attempt to convince anyone that your beliefs are superior, as people will ultimately believe just what they want to. Assist when someone pulls ideas, but never push.

With regard to science, I’m quite a fan of Rupert Sheldrake. He has a lot to say about the current state of the scientific community, the dogmas entrenched there, and his sense of humor makes listening to/reading his ideas a good time. I also enjoy Dean Radin’s contributions. I think both are worth reading if you have the time.

Love,
Tim

Doles
Old Friend

Postby Doles » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:21 am

Tim,
Amen! Amen! I hope more great minds like yours and Geoff's will find/deem it beneficial to me and others so they'll continue to contribute or start other conversations.

Blessings to all!
Doles
Blessings To All!

AlFike
New Friend

Postby AlFike » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:32 pm

Ah, I've chased you down Doles. I'm glad to see you contributing here and feel a bit sheepish that we have not linked the DLSF message board to here. I think we will remedy that shortly.

Good questions Doles and great responses from Tim and Geoff. I know I've gone through many phases regarding sharing my spiritual beliefs and journey to the wider world. I find there is a time and place for whatever it is you wish to share and having the discernment to know this is key. Doing so in an unassuming and humble way is another effective stance. Those that want to evangelize and preach to the crowd are, I believe, in most cases doing so with the wrong motivation. :head: . Indeed you can waste a lot of time trying to convince a closed mind. Take it from one who has wasted many hours in this pursuit. Time that could be better spent in prayer.

We all want and need to feel connected and accepted by others. Following this path does not for the most part facilitate that connection. It tends to do the opposite since it is not a mainstream belief and letting the cat out of the bag to our friends, family and neighbors can result in isolation and derision. It's a catch 22 as we feel the need to share a very vital part of our lives to increase intimacy with those we are close to yet it often creates the opposite. I think just quietly praying for and doing for another in a loving flow says more about the truth than all the words you can possibly utter.

There is more power and communication in the act than the word. Eventually you will be asked to explain how it is that you are such a good person. The door opens and then you can talk about the truth as you see it. This seems like a long road to sharing these simple truths but I think God wants us to be a channel of Love in these humble ways. All of those small acts of Love can and will change the world. So my advice is to do before you speak. A picture is worth a thousand words. God bless for now Doles............Al

Doles
Old Friend

Postby Doles » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:17 am

What do you know?...you asked for great minds and bamm, one pops up! Al, it's good to see you here! I always look forward to read anything you write! And hearing this from you...
... Indeed you can waste a lot of time trying to convince a closed mind. Take it from one who has wasted many hours in this pursuit. Time that could be better spent in prayer...."
it does bring great comfort to this younger and less wiser mind.
Doles
Blessings To All!

AlFike
New Friend

Postby AlFike » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:33 pm

Great to be here Doles. Always love to engage in a spiritual conversation and greatly appreciate the thoughts you have to share . God bless.......Al

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:20 am

Finally managed to retrieve my password and set up this iPad to get on the board. I am accessing this via satellite which is very slow. As some would know, I am in Kenya. Laikipia to be exact. Up to 450 photos as of today. Then found the spare battery I brought for my new camera wont work because somehow it knows is not a Nikon and won't use it.

Just back from tracking a lion pride using a directional antenna. It's the only way in this particular reserve, as its impossibly any other way. We found them, but we were hoping they would have the babies with them, but it was not to be.

Last night we spent and hour plus in a leopard blind waiting for leopard to show. We did not have any luck, although we did have a visit by a rare striped hyena. I also found my camera's preset night setting was not sufficient and I will have to study the manual to figure how to set it to a manual aperture priority with high iso and long time so I can get a pic, if a leopard arrives in the dark. We can't use flash, and the bait tree is too far for a flash to be effective anyway.

In the previous camp in the Masai mara we found a lone roan antelope which excited everyone because they are not found there, and the game hand books for the area don't even list them. So that's one for the history books. It came from the lake Victoria valley, a long way from Masai mara.

Hugs
Geoff
Love commands the universe. Man only resorts to control when love is missing.

Doles
Old Friend

Postby Doles » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:54 pm

Hello all,
Geoff, I wasn't quite sure which one I was more of: happy for or envious of you :) . But seriously, I'm sure you had to have had a good time.
Doles
Blessings To All!

Return to “Questions and Answers”