Rumi, Whirling Dervishes and the Sufi

If you want to have a discussion of things outside of the Padgett Messages, please do that here.
Geoff
Site Admin

Rumi, Whirling Dervishes and the Sufi

Postby Geoff » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:21 pm

Rumi, as he is known in the west, lived in Turkey where he is known as Mevlana or Mawlana. He was an Islamic mystic, and discovered that by "whirling" he could connect to God. This lead to the development of a small community of Whirling Dervishes, which exist to this day. While in Turkey I took the opportunity to visit their service. No photos are allowed while they are at prayer, and it was really quite beautiful. Not a lot different to the "commercial" versions that can be seen in Egypt or Turkey, by performers, although the latter wear coloured costumes and tend to add some "routines"

At the end, our Turkish guide managed to get the leader to talk to us for maybe 15 minutes. He was inundated with questions, and sadly I did not get any opportunity myself to ask what I was really dying to know. - Do they feel anything special while whirling -.

I found his answers curious, and strangely unsatisfying. Like - "only God can say if what we do is worthwhile" I also visited their museum. Their group is considered within the Sufi movement, a mystical branch of Islam.

love,
Geoff
Love commands the universe. Man only resorts to control when love is missing.

Mikayla
New Friend

Re: Rumi, Whirling Dervishes and the Sufi

Postby Mikayla » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:09 am

Hi Geoff,

While on Spinchat (a forum. or IM, enabling people to talk to others around the world), I got an email from a stranger from Mumbai, India, suggesting I read the poems of Rumi (among other things) because he considered we had a lot in common because of my profile. I wasn't sure exactly what he meant by this so I looked up Rumi and this is what I found and posted back to him:

'''Sufi poems of Rumi'''
> Rumi believed passionately in the use of music, poetry,
> and dance as a path for reaching God. For Rumi, music
> helped devotees to focus their whole being on the divine,
> and to do this so intensely that the soul was both
> destroyed and resurrected. Rumi describes in detail the
> universal message of love:
> Lover’s nationality is separate from all other religions,
> The lover’s religion and nationality is the Beloved (God).
> The lover’s cause is separate from all other causes
> Love is the astrolabe of God’s mysteries.
>
I know this doesn't exactly answer your question about 'feeling anything special' but it sure sounds like Divine Love to me. How can you not 'feel' something if the soul is 'both destroyed and resurrected'? As in, a new heart? Or at least lodgement? Removal of the old (sin) and introduction of the new (love)? God works in mysterious ways!

Geoff
Site Admin

Re: Rumi, Whirling Dervishes and the Sufi

Postby Geoff » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:24 am

Dear Mikayla,

Welcome, and thank you for your post. I do not doubt that Rumi was "connected" personally to God, but he is indeed a mystic, and the most common meaning of that, is a person others cannot understand. And if others cannot understand him, then its likely they will either have difficulty in doing as he suggests, or even figuring out what it is he is suggesting.

Mikayla wrote:I know this doesn't exactly answer your question about 'feeling anything special' but it sure sounds like Divine Love to me. How can you not 'feel' something if the soul is 'both destroyed and resurrected'? As in, a new heart? Or at least lodgement? Removal of the old (sin) and introduction of the new (love)? God works in mysterious ways!

Indeed. Certainly the old testament, as you may be aware, talks mysteriously of "a new heart" but not a single christian denomination has managed to make anything of that. And without the messages from Dr Samuels, I don't suppose I would have either. But I am not sure of the concept of destroying the soul, since we know that can't occur.

Mikayla wrote: Rumi believed passionately in the use of music, poetry, and dance as a path for reaching God.

He was certainly on a "good" track there, in my opinion, since those are "non-mindal" methods, and reflect the same sort of concepts we have in Padgett, of getting out of the mind and into one's heart/soul. Reaching out to God from one's soul, not one's material mind.

love,
Geoff
Love commands the universe. Man only resorts to control when love is missing.

Return to “Discussions of other beliefs or spiritual frameworks.”