New Web site

A forum for general discussion of all things relating to the messages received by James Padgett and subsequent mediums, and which are hosted on this site.
Geoff
Site Admin

New Web site

Postby Geoff » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:50 pm

For the last two years, yes TWO years, I have been battling with the new version of the new-birth web site. The problems were technical, in that the site is so large that none of the good quality free cms would handle the number of pages it has, without slowing to a halt. And I needed tables, and most don't offer that, and I have thousands of internal links, which I had to have imported automatically into a different structure. But we now have the pages loaded, in a custom version of Django CMS and it remains for me to tidy up. Its still going to be several months probably, because even though all the pages were imported via a program, the different formatting has shown up inconsistencies in the old site, but which worked there because each page is displayed according to its own settings. The major issue is curly quotes, and I will have to work through every page manually.

But its coming. Its visually far more modern.

The menu structure on the new site is totally different, and I hope more logical, but every "old" page will still be there.

hugs
Geoff
Love commands the universe. Man only resorts to control when love is missing.

Sandy
New Friend

Re: New Web site

Postby Sandy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:33 am

Well done, Geoff!
Pretty soon all these months of hard work will pay off in a modern state of the art website. I can't wait to see it. :banana:
love,
Sandy

Arie
New Friend

Postby Arie » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:36 am

Geoff wrote:For the last two years, yes TWO years, I have been battling with the new version of the new-birth web site. ... and I will have to work through every page manually.

I have been wondering how you were proceeding, dear Geoff. O boy, I can't imagine the amount of work you're putting into all this.. "Every page manually".. That very much sounds like the old-fashioned monks-work, be it with state of the art digital techniques..poor you!

But I'm confident you'll manage quite well and I'm very much looking forward to the end result!

Keep up the good spirits :)

Hugs, :howdie:
Arie

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:17 am

Dear Arie,

Yes its a heck of a lot of work, even though we imported the pages, and MOSTLY retained the links. But even so I have to edit every page, and add all the images and files, and all the named anchors. And because the link functionality does not have a filter or search, I have had to ORDER all the P Messages. Sigh.

hugs
Geoff

Sandy
New Friend

Postby Sandy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:57 am

I didn't understand a word of that but it sounds so complex that I feel for you, Geoff. I can't imagine how good you will feel when the new site is all finished and up and running. Definitely a time to celebrate!!! :lol:

Okay this is a silly question but remember it is coming from someone who doesn't know a thing about such things...What will happen to this site... the old version? Will there be two sites or one bright brand spanking new version of the old one?
hugs,
Sandy

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:24 am

Dear Sandy,

Well this message board won't change, but the existing web site will disappear. I will probably have it archived, as there is always a chance I will lose something, but it will be "off the web".

hugs
Geoff

Vee
New Friend

Postby Vee » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:39 am

Dear Geoff,

I was going to wait with registering, until you would have the new site set up, but couldn't resist being no 200.....lol.
It is totally amazing what you have here. Reading it, consumes a lot of my time lately, but that is nothing compared to the time you must have been spending on it.
So much is so intensily moving, I have never ever come across anything like this.
Cannot thank you enough for doing all of this.

Hugs,

Vee.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:03 am

Dear Vee,

Well you made the 200'th member!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: Good to see you on here, and thanks for the kind words.

This board will not change at all, when I roll out the new web site.

hugs
Geoff

jmmagno30
New Friend

Postby jmmagno30 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:38 am

Hi Geoff,

Im always reading this website especially the new message.
Im very much happy to know that the new website soon
to create. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Manny Garcia
From Singapore.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:51 pm

Thanks Manny,

I will almost certainly go live with it partially incomplete, well not as polished as I would like because it is just taking too long. Just one page I have spent over a week on and I can see may spent another several weeks on.

Hugs
Geoff

Return to “General Discussion of the Padgett Messages”